Hello everybody, it’s Drew, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, baked shepherd's pie. One of my favorites food recipes. This time, I am going to make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
Baked Shepherd's Pie is one of the most favored of recent trending foods in the world. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. It is enjoyed by millions daily. They are nice and they look fantastic. Baked Shepherd's Pie is something that I’ve loved my whole life.
To get started with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can cook baked shepherd's pie using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Baked Shepherd's Pie:
- Get 500 grams Potatoes
- Make ready 150 grams Ground beef and pork mix
- Prepare 1/2 medium sized Onion
- Prepare 70 ml Milk
- Make ready 30 grams Easy melting cheese
- Prepare 1/4 tsp salt
- Take 1/2 tsp Soy sauce
- Take 1 dash Pepper
- Get 1 dash Nutmeg
- Get 1 Salt and pepper (For the mashed potatoes)
- Get 1 Whisked eggs (This helps to brown the recipe more easily; optional)
Most recipes for any Shepherd's Pie say use beef or lamb. That said, I made this version because it was fast and easy and I didn't have time for a more complicated recipe. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside.
Steps to make Baked Shepherd's Pie:
- Peel the potatoes, cut into fourths, and boil.
- Finely chop the onions, and sauté in a pan coated with vegetable oil (not listed, about 1 teaspoon) until they become transparent.
- Add the ground meat, cook until it changes color, add salt, soy sauce, pepper, and nutmeg and sauté some more.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain, season with salt and pepper, and mash.
- Once they are pretty well mashed, add milk and mix thoroughly (Adjust the firmness to your liking with milk). Taste, and add more salt if needed.
- Put half of the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish, and spread it out evenly.
- Add all of the ground meat from step 3, and top with cheese.
- Divide the remaining mashed potatoes into 3 equal portions and scatter on top.
- Press it out evenly with plastic wrap.
- Coat it with whisked egg; use a fork to make a pattern, and cook at 480°F/250°C for 15 minutes, and then at 570°F/300°C for another 5-6 minutes.
- You are done once it turns golden brown!
- *If you are having trouble getting it to turn golden brown, I have a little trick… Mix 1 teaspoon of Mirin in with the whisked eggs and coat, and it will turn golden brown easily.
- **If you don't have Mirin, then bake at 570°F/300°C from the start until it browns, and then reduce the heat.
- Ready to serve and ENJOY!
In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Easy Shepherd's Pie Favorite shepherd's pie recipe, a classic casserole of Britain and Ireland done American-style.
So that is going to wrap this up with this special food baked shepherd's pie recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I am sure you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!